Oracle EBS Customers can’t use Web ADI after Windows UpdateSeptember 20, 2020
Master Data is the Single Source of Truth for Companies Worldwide
It’s not uncommon for companies to make business decisions based off of their master data. Many Oracle EBS customers rely on Oracle 11i. Therefore, upgrading to Oracle r12.2 is an undertaking. Operations invest money, resources and time to migrate to Oracle r12.2.
Unfortunately, a Microsoft Office update affected thousands of Oracle EBS customers who used Oracle Web Applications Desktop Integrator (Web ADI).
Luckily our EBS Toolbox is packed with solutions that integrate with Microsoft Office and Oracle updates. But first, let’s explore what Oracle Web ADI is and why it broke during a Microsoft Windows update.
What is Oracle Web ADI?
- Web ADI offers a combination of readily available and customizable solutions for desktop PCs
- End-users can complete EBS tasks and data input activities fast, like Word and Excel
- Users can copy and paste data from existing sources and auto-populate cells
- Data can be shared fast before being imported into the Oracle database
- There are over 300+ template documents users can choose from, and they can upload the data to Oracle in Excel
How did a Windows update break Oracle Web ADI?
A transportation and shipping company upgraded its Microsoft Office 365. Immediately after, they noticed that Web ADI didn’t work with the Oracle (11i) version.
Data is a crucial part of any business. With that being said, the transportation and shipping operation loads 6,000 lines of data securely into Oracle EBS daily.
As a result of Windows breaking, the company downgrade over 30 employee’s Office suite. Reverting to the older version would get Web ADI to work again. Additionally, Web ADI wouldn’t work when user’s upgraded to the latest version of Excel or Oracle r12.2.
According to Oracle’s blog, Web ADI for 11i can only work with Excel 2010. Since, Microsoft continuously improves software packages, the transportation and shipping operation knew they needed to find a better solution.
Web ADI heavily depends on Excel so any update to Excel from 2016 can cause Web ADI to fail.
Web ADI’s incompatibility with Microsoft adjustments meant businesses would be forced to rely on IT support.
The Limitations of Web ADI
Web ADI doesn’t cater to the specific needs of a business. For instance, Web ADI doesn’t provide customized Lists of Values (LoVs), or pre-built extensions. These features help users adjust what they want the integrator to do.
Also, the look and feel of each template lack functionality and consistency that most companies need.
The Web ADI setup process requires a lot of interaction between the developer and the end-user. This is a setback because users can’t retrieve data when urgently needed.
Some users have complained about Web ADI’s inability to upload large amounts of data, often requiring patching. Patching is a long, time-consuming process where technical input is needed.
Oracle EBS Customers Find Instant Success with More4apps Solutions
Our GL Wizard, a solution from our Oracle EBS Toolbox, that works with all versions of Oracle and Microsoft Excel.
Our GL Wizard has flexible functionality and better performance. It can load attachments, journals, and large data lines seamlessly.
GL Wizard Benefits:
- Users can work on multiple ledgers and data sheets at a time
- The GL Wizard allows users to process data loads quickly via an Excel interface
- Create actuals, budget journals, and amounts in Excel
- The GL Wizard will send your data and information back to Oracle
- Utilize multiple periods, categories, and sources in a single Excel spreadsheet
- Load attachments against journal headers, which is not possible with Web ADI
Our EBS Toolbox works with the latest versions of Oracle and Microsoft Office.