The Department for Transportation required all transport operators to implement the updated refund scheme which would include:
- Full and partial refunds
- Cash compensation
- Different processes for season tickets vs non-season tickets
- A fast turn-around for customers
- A very tight deadline for implementation
For Go-Ahead Group, their own requirements included:
- Must adhere to strict internal processes for payments
- Integration with existing Oracle EBS
- Adequate time for testing ahead of the implementation deadline
A total rethink was required as their current manual system could not cope with the new workload and complexity. Also, given the short deadline, any solution would need to be intuitive to understand, use and communicate to customers.
Source data for customer processing was via a third-party CRM/Customer portal, so it was not as simple as having a Credit Memo in Accounts Receivable. This also meant that an interface would be required from the third-party system into Oracle. The resource lead-time and project lifecycle meant that it would be touch-and-go as to whether we would meet the go-live data – a statutory requirement that could not move.